Irix Variable ND filters
Irix introduces new series of ultra slim 2-5 Variable Neutral Density filters
Irix, the manufacturer of high-class optics for photo and film industry, expands its product line by introducing the new range of Irix Edge ultra slim filters – Variable Neutral Density – VariND. New series will be available in both version – traditional screw in and MMS – magnetic mount – dedicated for Irix Cine lenses. Both versions are one of the thinnest filters of its kind on the market.
• Top optical quality – the Irix Edge filters have been developed based on the highest quality optical glass which guarantees the high light transmission.
• Ultra thin, only 4,7mm for MMS version, with no slip finish, making it one of the most compact variable ND filters on the market.
• The filter frame is made of lightweight and durable aluminum. Its surface has been covered with a black coating.
• 24 Multi Coating layers, reduced reflection, oil resistant and waterproof.
• Super Resistance – thanks to a special choice of tough glass, the filter is designed to survive almost any conditions (available only in MMS variant).
What is VariND?
Variable ND filter is constructed using two polarizing filters. When rotating, they cut off more light. Using this allows it to stay more lightweight. Instead of carrying multiple ND filters, you can use just one, and adjust it depending on the situation you will approach. A lot of filters on the market allow for almost full closure of the variable ND. With infinite rotation, they go almost to black. In theory, it is a benefit but in practice, it ends up being very problematic.
Firstly due to the construction of variable ND filters, the more it closes, there are more artifacts added to the image, loss of sharpness and color too. Irix VariND filters are designed to work with the range of 2-5 stops – to keep color rendition and sharpness of the picture unchanged.
Availability and prices
Irix 2-5 Variable ND filters are available in two variants. Traditional screw in with ultra thin frame comes in the most common sizes: 67, 72, 82, 86, 95mm. There is also a second variant – Irix Edge Magnetic Mount System (MMS). Those filters have a strong magnetic mount that is compatible with Irix Cine lenses. This feature allows you to quickly and easily change the filters during recording and save valuable time on the set.
Retails prices for screw in variant are starting from 115 Euro for 67mm sizes up to 215 Euro for 95mm sizes, wile MMS version costs 225 Euro VAT included.
More information about the filters is available at irixlens.com for MMS version here and for standard here